I hope you learned a lot in the first week of the 5-Week Healthy Family Challenge here on Nourishing Tweens! As I said last week, the goal of this challenge is to make real, sustainable improvements in a few key areas. If you’re ready to ditch the crazy New Year’s goals and are ready to make some mindful changes that matter, welcome!
If you’re new here, no problem! The challenge is running until Feb. 9, and there are giveaways each Sunday!
Last week we talked about healthy fats and why and how to get them into your family’s diet.
This week, we’ve got a new topic: stress. Stress is something that almost everyone struggles with. It’s becoming more and more of an issue for not only adults, but tweens, teens, and kids, too. I want to help you understand why stress is bad for your family’s health, and give you some ideas for how to reduce the stress levels of your family.
Now I’m not gonna lie – stress is something our family struggles with, and I have been trying hard for years to come up with ways to help everyone be calm and collected. As a mom, I feel like it’s my job to make the world go round. Anyone feel me on that?
I have an article on my website called Calming Activities for Tweens and Teens. It’s the fourth article in my Ending Negativity Series. Your first assignment this week as part of the challenge is to read it!
Another important way to help your kids reduce their stress levels is to help them increase their resilience. I have two articles on my website about this topic. Please read my first article about building resilience – watch the video about our fight or flight response with your kids.
Week 2’s Giveaway
I am happy to be partnering this week with my friends at Big Life Journal! Big Life Journal is dedicated to helping parents and kids learn to improve and grow by building resilience. They will be gifting this week’s giveaway winner with their 2020 Monthly Pages! This digital product will inspire your kids and teens to reflect on what they learn and experience each month. It will help them develop introspection, reflection, and journaling -all good skills for improving their overall stress levels!
In addition, I’ll be sending you a copy of an awesome book written by a tween! Kobe Nhin is a young author that is on a mission to teach other kids about mental toughness and resilience. These books are great for kids and come with worksheets in the back for your child to work on developing their own goals. To learn more about these books, check out my article: Resources for Teaching Resilience to Kids. The winner of this week’s giveaway will have their choice of books sent to them: either How to Win Wimbledon in Pajamas or How to Win the World Cup in Pajamas.
Also, Perfect Supplements is continuing to offer a discount to my readers! Use the code TWEENS10 to get 10% off your order! Or if you choose 3 items you get 25% off. They have several supplements that can help with stress levels, such as magnesium. They also have an anti-anxiety bundle that is discounted, and you can get an additional discount with my code! Just go to the Perfect Supplements website and search “anxiety.” I’ll be talking about healthy nutrition and supplements for improving mood and mental health during the challenge! Follow me on Facebook for all the info!
How to Participate in the Challenge
Alright! Are you ready to learn, have fun, and maybe win a prize?
Each day (Or less, whatever! I want you to learn and have fun with this, not get stressed!) do something to work on reducing stress levels for yourself and your family. Just like last week, I’ll be doing some Facebook lives to give you inspiration! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Read my article about Calming Activities for Tweens and Teens to help your mindset and get started with ideas
- Read my article about How to Help Your Kids Become More Resilient. And while you’re there, watch the videos in it with your kids to learn about how if we understand how our brains work, we can learn to be more calm and less stressed. Resilience means being able to bounce back from problems. More resilience = less stress.
- Start a journaling or gratitude journal practice for yourself or your family
- Diffuse some calming essential oils in your home
- Designate a tech-free time block
- Play a game with your family, or start a jigsaw puzzle
- Get some exercise together. Maybe go for a walk, hike, or bike ride.
- Have dinner as a family, and have each person tell one nice thing they did for someone that day, and one nice thing someone else did for them.
What are your favorite stress relievers? Comment below and help us all get less stressed!
I look forward to seeing your posts on Facebook and Instagram this week sharing your participation in the challenge! Don’t forget – the more you participate, the more entries you get in the giveaway! And invite your friends!
In case you need a reminder, here is how to enter the giveaways:
- Start by clicking here to sign up for the challenge. When you sign up, a free printable will be sent to you to help you keep track of your progress. This will add you to my email list (if you’re not already on it). Don’t worry, I won’t spam you. I normally send a newsletter out once every week or two. During the challenge, I will have one extra email each week.
- Following me on Facebook will add another entry! Click here to follow me!
- Liking my Facebook posts about the challenge will earn you another entry (and yes, I mean for every post I do about the challenge, you can like it and will earn another entry for each post)
- Comment on my Facebook posts about the challenge and earn another entry!
- Comment on my Facebook lives during the challenge…earn another entry!
- Share my posts or videos on Facebook and earn THREE ENTRIES!
- Follow me on Instagram to earn another entry! Click here to follow me on Instagram.
- Each time you like or comment on my Instagram posts about the challenge, earn another entry!
- Tag a friend on my Instagram posts about the challenge and earn an entry for each friend you tag
- Participate by posting on Instagram about your participation and progress on the challenge – tag it #5weekhealthyfamilychallenge and #nourishingtweens to earn TWO ENTRIES! And yes, I mean two entries each time!
- Leave a helpful or positive comment on this post or the post about healthy fats to earn an entry!