It’s time for Week 5 of the 5-Week Healthy Family Challenge! Are you ready to finish strong?!? I hope you have been learning and making some changes to help your family live a healthier life!
If you’re new here, welcome! You don’t need to have completed the first four weeks to join in for week 5! Everyone who wants to improve the life of their family is welcome.
Nourishing Tweens is a participant in several affiliate programs, advertising programs that provides a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and other websites. I only recommend things that I truly like and would use myself. If you click through my links and make a purchase, there is no additional charge to you.
Focus: Eat your veggies!
Alright, there is no accident in my choice of topics this week! I know many of you have joined this challenge as a way to start off the new year on the right foot.
It’s a well-known fact that many people make strict and challenging new year’s resolutions and don’t manage to keep them. And more often than not, those goals include eating right. So I figured, there is a good chance that some of you started out a month ago planning to eat right…and have fallen off the wagon. That said, I am here to inspire you! Time to eat your veggies!!!
Seems to me, anytime is the PERFECT time to think about what you and your family are eating! We all know that vegetables are important for your health. In fact, it’s probably the only thing that all the various diet gurus agree upon! So I won’t go into why it’s important in this article…but stay tuned!
Week 5’s Giveaway
I am happy to announce that for Week 5, we again had a generous gift supplied by one of my favorite companies, Perfect Supplements! Perfect Supplements sent my winner a bottle of their Perfect Matchinga – a $39.95 value!
Matchinga is an amazing choice to add to your smoothies, and can also be used to make a yummy Matcha tea! It’s a blend of Matcha and Moringa.
Matcha is filled with antioxidants, amino acids, and vitamins. Moringa is one of the most nutrient-dense foods there is. It’s very high in iron, vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium, potassium, and amino acids.
Also, Perfect Supplements is continuing to offer a discount to my readers! Use the code TWEENS10 to get 10% off your order! Or if you choose 3 items you get 25% off! As you are working to get more veggies into your family, there are some supplements that can help! One great choice is Perfect Aquatic Greens .
How to Participate in the Challenge
Let’s do it!
Each day, take a small step to increase the veggies in your family’s diet. I continued doing Facebook lives to give you inspiration, so please make sure you are following me on Facebook! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Start by reading my article all about salad dressing! Learn how to make a simple salad dressing yourself, or read my suggestions for how to pick the best store-bought dressings!
- Try a new veggie-filled dinner recipe this week! Spaghetti Squash Lazy Lasagna is a good one, if I do say so myself!
- Make a smoothie for your kids and/or yourself! You can get some spinach into your bodies as your day starts! Or, they make great after school snacks! How about my Super-Healthy Chocolate Protein Smoothie?
- Whip up some veggie-centric soup! I love to make a big batch – I feed it to my family for dinner and then eat it all week for my lunch! My Butternut Squash Soup is delicious! (Okay yes, I am tooting my own horn here).
- Serve your kiddos some raw veggies as an “appetizer” for dinner. This is a trick a mom friend taught me years ago. As you’re making dinner, put out some carrot sticks, celery, sugar snap peas, or other easy veggies, maybe even with some dip if you’re feeling enthusiastic. Have it out on the counter or table so that as the kids wander through asking what’s for dinner, they grab some veggies and start munching. It works. Hungry kids are desperate. 🙂 Need a dip idea? How about just some Sir Kensington’s Ranch to get some healthy fats into the kiddos? Or better yet, make your own ranch dip!
- Think about the side dishes in your kids’ lunches. Throw some veggies into your kids’ lunch bags. Raw veggies by themselves are fine, but you could also give them some ranch, hummus, or nut butter to eat with them.
- Change up the main dishes of your kids’ lunch. Do they usually eat sandwiches? How about a salad with some chicken tenders instead? If your kids enjoy foods such as the Spaghetti Squash lasagna, then pack it in a thermos for lunch! Or if that is too unusual for them, how about you take a standard like mac and cheese and mix in some broccoli or other veggies? Stick to ones that you know they like for lunch or else they will get thrown away. Kids are more open to trying new things at dinner when you are there to encourage them – not in the lunchroom surrounded by other kids who have a tendency to be judgmental.
- Try a veggie your family isn’t used to this week. How about artichokes, cauliflower rice, or zoodles (zucchini noodles)? Have you ever considered signing up for a farm box? Check out this article to find out how it works.
Or make a salad that’s different than usual. How about my Simple Caprese Salad?
- Make some muffins that feature a vegetable! My Grain-free Pumpkin Spice Muffins would be a delicious choice! Other good options could be zucchini muffins or carrot muffins. Any of these work well for breakfast, lunch, or snacks!
- Have you tried having veggies for breakfast? I mean, veggies that look like veggies, not just baked into muffins or whirled in a smoothie. Try my Easy Breakfast Scramble. Worried your kids won’t go for it? My recipe includes three different ways to serve it to please picky eaters.
If you are a California resident and would like to try Farm Fresh to You, please use my code KARE2218 to get $15 off your first box!
I look forward to seeing your posts on Facebook and Instagram this week sharing your participation in the challenge! If you try a new recipe, post a pic and tag me!
If you’re new here and you want to learn more about the earlier weeks of the challenge, please do!
Week 4 we talked about how to decrease the toxins in your family’s home.
All of the weekly blog posts have videos attached so you can watch and learn if that makes you happy!
Have fun and good luck!!!! Please pin and share!