I’ve got a delicious and easy family-friendly casserole for you that everyone loves! It’s low-carb, so it fits in with mom and dad’s diet. It tastes like a bacon cheeseburger, so the kids will love it, too! It has mild flavors, so the picky ones can eat it. And it can easily be spiced up when served to please the more adventurous palates. It’s a win-win-win! And…BACON!
Nourishing Tweens is a participant in several affiliate programs, advertising programs that provides a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and other websites. I only recommend things that I truly like and would use myself. If you click through my links and make a purchase, there is no additional charge to you.
If you are looking for an easy ground beef recipe, look no further! Hamburger casserole makes an easy weeknight dinner. Serve it with a salad or other tasty vegetable side-dish. My homemade ranch dip and some sliced raw veggies for dipping would round out the meal perfectly!
This low-carb bacon cheeseburger casserole also heats up well for lunch the next day or later in the week. It can keep in the fridge for about 5 days.
The recipe is big because I love to have leftovers! If you don’t want leftovers, or you have a smaller family, feel free to halve the recipe and bake it in an 8 x 8 pan. If you do that, reduce the cook time by ten minutes.
I’d like to thank Buns in My Oven for inspiring this ground beef recipe. I love Karly’s version of bacon cheeseburger casserole, but I needed to simplify it for my picky eater. I took out the pepper, hot sauce, mustard, and dill. As I mentioned in my recipe, I serve these things alongside after it’s made for those who like more spice. I also increased the recipes significantly to satisfy my family as well as providing leftovers.
If you aren’t trying to eat low-carb, you can serve the recipe with rolls or rice.
If you are interested in a source of healthy grass-fed meat that can be delivered to your home, check out Grassland Beef! They provide meat that is 100% grass-fed, sustainably-raised, hormone-free, and humanely treated. All of these details are important for your family’s health. Curious about why grass-fed is best? Read my article about which fats are healthy for your family (spoiler alert: grass-fed beef is a great source)!
Family-friendly Cheeseburger Casserole
- 9 x 13 Baking dish
- 1/2 lb bacon or 1/4 lb pre-cooked bacon
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 12 oz shredded mild cheddar
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and place in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until crisp, stirring frequently. Get out the cream cheese and put it on the counter so it can be coming to room temperature.
- While bacon is cooking, chop the onion and crush the garlic cloves using a garlic press, or just chop the garlic.
- Once bacon is crisp, remove it from the pan and drain the excess fat. Remember to dispose of the fat carefully (or save for another use), don't pour it down the drain.
- Put the ground beef in the skillet, raising the heat to medium high. Cook and stir until browned. Drain fat from pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion and garlic to the skillet with the beef and cook until translucent, about five minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cream cheese to skillet. Stir a bit to start melting the cheese. Add ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and spices to skillet. Stir until combined.
- Transfer the beef mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Top with the cooked bacon.
- In a separate bowl, crack the eggs and whisk together with the cream. Pour over the beef.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes, until set and golden on top.
Enjoy! For more dinner ideas, try these recipes: